To my family and friends,
Elder Weston Scott
This week passed very quick here in the Anaheim California Mission. Elder Silvester and I have been working diligently trying to lead our zone. I would even dare to say that this week was one of the greatest so far on the mission. To start off, our investigator Lucy cuts hair, and with permission went to her home on Monday evening, where she cut our hair. I have heard many stories of bad hair cuts from her, because she is just got her "beauty License" and so she is new to it all. She gets upset if we do not allow her to cut our hair, so we went, and it turned out pretty good for the most part. Afterwards we had exchanges. I went to Anaheim (my old area) with Elder Montgomery. It was a good time, we replanted a palm tree which was fun. It was an overall great day. I sat pondering over the time I served in that ward and in that area, and the experiences I went through while there. I thought about the effort I put in, and how much I truly loved the people, even though the results were not what I had expected with the work I put in, I see it now, with the fruits that are coming from it all.
After exchanges, Elder Silvester and I returned back to our area, and we talked about the day. We are truly blessed to be the Zone Leaders here in this zone with these missionaries. Every single missionary here is obedient, and works hard.
Wednesday morning we held a zone meeting, where my companion and I trained our Zone on using the technology we have wisely with safeguard training we have had for a few months. The second half of the meeting we shared with our zone ideas and principles to finding people to teach. It was all focused on following the Spirit, and allowing inspiration to join us as we find. That evening while we were eating with a member, the member's grandson RIcardo comes to us in need of help with his Eagle Project. He has four merit badges and his whole project to do before he turns 18 early next month. We helped answer some of his questions about the project, and about the merit badges, but we told him that he needs to get to work, if he wants to be the first Eagle Scout in the Fullerton 6 Ward. He is a little nervous.
Thursday was our first day this transfer that we have been able to complete all of our studies. We had a full day to work in our area, not one distraction to attend to within the zone. We had two wonderful lessons. One with Lucy, who set a baptismal date for the 28th. We are not sure about it anymore as of today, but it was a very spiritual lesson. We watched the Bible Video where Peter walks on water. I truly am grateful for the IPads we have, they are wonderful and powerful tools in the work, without them we would not have been able to show her that video. Another lesson we had that night was with young couple, who are both newer investigators, named Maria y Eduardo. We taught the Plan of Salvation, they seemed excited. We hope to see more progress from them shorty.
Friday we held our weekly planning session. After all was finished, we talked about our companionship and had a companionship inventory. We both sat quietly pondering, and as we communicated to each other our strengths, we both remembered a year ago when we were companions giving those exact strengths as weaknesses. I know that I have changed for the better on my mission. I feel that I am finally starting to reach my potential in life. I know who I am and what I want in life.
I read a talk by Elder Marvin J. Ashton from October 1979 this week titled "Progress through Change." He states, ". . . we must be totally committed to . . . change. A Chinese proverb says, "Great souls have wills; feeble souls have only wishes." Unless we have the will to improve, all the . . . steps to change will be wasted. This . . . separates the winners from the losers." This impacted me a lot. In order to truly develop into the priesthood holder that I am to be, I need to full heartedly commit.
I also read another powerful conference talk by Elder David A. Bednar titled, "Receive the Holy Ghost." I invite all to study it. I desire to have the Spirit with me at all times, as I am sure every member of the church desires. I learned more about what it truly takes to receive the Holy Ghost into our lives through Elder Bednar's words.
Sunday Morning I attended Sacrament Meeting of the Buena Park 3 Ward, from where I just came. I attended for the purpose of confirming Bertha, who Elder Dougherty and myself taught last transfer and baptized the May 31. It was a true blessing to do so.
At our own church meetings Sunday, we were joined by the second counselor in the bishopric's father, President Cerda. He is the temple president of the Guadalajara, Mexico Temple. He spoke in church and it was powerful, than he also taught the class in Elder's Quorum. We learned about what it means to truly 'Follow the Living Prophet'. The Spirit was strong in the room during the whole lesson.
In closing of my words about this week, I will mention a truth stated quite frequently. The mission is the best two years. It is that refiner's fire. If you want to find out who you are, the mission is where you need to be. I absolutely love my mission.
Elder Weston Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment