Hey everyone!
How goes it? Espero que ustedes esten bien! [ I hope you are all well! ] Can I say, holy heat! It has been so hot this week, I am scared for how hot it will be after Winter time is over. Oh man, I could die. So my Broncos are going to the Super Bowl huh? That is killer news! There are several members here that have tried to get us to sit down and watch the games with them, and it is so hard not to, but we have not yet. Only one game left, so I think that I will be safe. Anyways, pretty much everything here is going great. We had stake conference yesterday, and it was awesome. One of the Sister Training leaders posted on Facebook that there were going to be Apostles there and that they were going to speak to us. All of us Elders that saw her post were like, "uh... you crazy, it is stake conference. Not general Conference." So we all show up in the bigger of the 2 chapels that are in my building here, and Presidente Villegas empezo el reunion. [ started the meeting ] We sang and then had a prayer, and then he got up again, and said in Spanish, "Brothers and Sisters, this broadcast will be in English as well in the other chapel, if you would like to listen in English, we invite you move into the other chapel. Almost all of the Missionaries stood up, and moved to English. The broadcast started, and guess who spoke? Elder Neil L. Anderson and President Henry B. Eyring spoke. All of the Elders looked at each other and we were like, "Oh shoot, how did she know?" I sweat, the sisters always know things. We elders get jipped on details haha. But, los discursos [ the talks ] were awesome! It was also awesome because I got to hang out with a bunch of other Elders. I sort of break from Vincent. Only three more weeks with him. I can make it I hope.
We got some bad news this week with one of our Investigators. Ar....., he pretty much dropped us. It is super sad and I am mad about it because he told us in a sense, that he was grateful for us coming over and teaching him, because it helped him rekindle his testimony about the catholic church, and that he wants us to keep coming to help him learn more about how his church is true. He missed the part on how, because of the Great Apostasy, we know that the only true church on the Earth is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It has been hard, because he just will not read the Book of Mormon, or pray. Two simple things, but he wont do it. He makes a lot of excuses, it is frustrating. Sometimes I wish people did not have Agency, so that they would just do what we invite them to do. If people would just follow through on commitments. HAY CARRAMBA! But, we are keeping our heads up, because Al... is finally ready to be baptized. It is going to be this week, hopefully. He told us that he is excited, and ready, and wants to do it for himself and not because of his girlfriend. He has been reading the Book of Mormon every day and praying every day. He received an answer and knows that it is all true. It is exciting because he really wants to be married in the Temple. (after a mission of course ;)) But the only thing holding him back right now, is his mom. She drinks so much, and wont meet with us to get permission. Ugh! Al... is deeply discourage about that. He is so ready, and to see him have to continually wait, it is hard for me and all of us because we care about him so much! He is so cool! Anyways, we are doing our best here. Let me give you a rundown of the week alright?
Monday - P-day, we drove around for hours trying to get Elder Arevalos bike tuned up because he had a free coupon. When we finally picked it up, they said come back because there was nothing to tune up, but it took 2 hours to check? Uh? Thanks! But we played a little bit of Volleyball! So that was good!
Tuesday - We studied for 4 hours, the usual for a greenie like me! But I am so close to finishing that! 3 more weeks! But we also used Facebook for an hour, and taught 4 lessons over it. I also finally took my driving exam which was 9 weeks overdue. My bad...I also took my Spanish Grammar test, and got a 80% on it. Boo yah! Elder Vincent took his again next to me, and got an 84%. Oh yeah! I am coming along pretty good now I would say?! :)
Wednesday - District meeting, then we did Facebook because we had a scheduled lesson with a person I messaged on Facebook last week. He didn't get on, but read what I was typing out for him. Facebook truly is interesting, I am still sort of "iffie" with it. But I am doing my best. We also did out studies, and the taught Alex. It was such a good lesson! Oh man, I love that kid! He has changed so much since I have been here! Whew I can not even explain it!
Thursday - I started putting together my bike with me hands, yeah that is right. Then we went to the office for Elder Vincent to work on his college Application. Oh man, he is o clueless with this kind of stuff, I do not know how! I have concluded that I will never use the phrase "do you live under a rock?" because it is evident that my companion does, and was born there to haha. Oh man. But we also found a new investigator named Ma.... , he is somewhat interested, but I don't know yet. We taught him the Restoration at his door, because we had training that we just need to teach and keep teaching for as long as we can last with the people at their doors. It works pretty well so far. We ate dinner with the ward mission leader, and I helped one of their sons with his homework. Reading comprehension. I felt like dad when he used to help me, you know, not just give the answers, but make them think of it for themselves. It was fun. We also had our weekly coordination meeting, where this old man who is a ward missionary was just ranting on Ef.... and Ia... who are new converts, and how they are not doing what they were supposed to be doing. This old man named Hermano Ci...... is such a Punk! Oh man! He gives all of our investigators and new converts crap for not being perfect. We never take him to lessons with us for that reason. Nothing we can do though.
Friday - I had a Nine-week follow up meeting for all the greenies that came out with me. I am the only Spanish speaking missionary that came out so yeah, everyone else was English and new each other. I did not even care to be around the English Program people. They are rude! But I met Elder Quito, who was the missionary that I was supposed to arrive with, you know dad, the one president Bowen said I would be arriving with, the one from Peru? He is so awesome. We die together! I finally met another missionary that I am going to die with! I hope we will be companions! We also had to run around for hours to get new bikes for the sisters in out district because somehow they broke the axles on their bikes. I don't know how that is even possible. We started exchanges that night.
Saturday - Exchanges! Elder Arevalo, the quietest and most reserved missionary I have ever met, came with me in my area. He is from Florida and his parents are from El Salvador, he is fluent. He didn't help teach at all. But, I truly saw how much my Spanish has grown this day. I was speaking and understanding so incredibly well. It was awesome! We were on bikes, and it was pretty fun, I nailed this huge lip in the side walk. It reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite, because Elder Arevalo tried it after me, and hurt his groin. Haha. It was awesome! But overall, exchanges were good, I like them because I can get away from Elder Vincent and see how other missionaries are. We went to the adult session of Stake conference, because Elders Waite and Castaneda were talking, they introduced to the members how they can use Facebook better to share the Gospel and help the missionary Effort. It was great!
Sunday - We had stake conference, and I already relayed the story earlier. It was super good. We tried to go see Al...'s mom, but she would not come out and see us. Which was not fun for us or Al... , he was upset. We later studied and finished our weekly planning, and then ate with the Ca...o family. We practiced with the ward choir. Oh my gosh, one thing I have found is that the Latino community in general can not sing. Wow. Tone deaf much? Elder Mason Scott would have died laughing, I almost could not hold it in. After, we taught Ef... about the Priesthood. It was so great. He is such a strong convert!
This week was good. I learned a lot about how to be a successful missionary. I am loving it here. I cannot wish for any thing else!
Mom/Dad - Tell Grandpa that I am so excited for him! I emailed President Bowen to see if I can have permission to do that, He will probably say yes! He has to other missionaries so far. My stomach is doing a lot better, and I agree with mason. Why did Grandpa have to wait to start the lessons until after we left haha? Oh come on! :) The proclamation to the family is so incredibly powerful. I love it! I wish I could play in the snow too . . . But that can wait, I got work to do right now! :)
I love you all and hope to hear from you all soon! Have a fantastic week! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment